Veterans’ preference is our way of expressing gratitude to men and women who have honorably served, or are serving, in the United States Armed Forces. In accordance with
Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) 18A.150, Veterans’ Preference provides veterans, and in some instances their family members, opportunities to receive interviews in the selection process for merit employment within state government agencies. Veterans must have been granted an Honorable or General Discharge to receive this status. As with all job seekers, veterans must meet minimum requirements for a job before an interview can be offered.
How to receive Veterans’ Preference:
1. Find out if you or a member of your family
qualifies for Veterans’ Preference.
2. Determine what documentation is required for you to receive Veterans’ Preference.
3. Send the required documentation to receive Veterans' Preference status here.
4. Search and apply for a job, for which you meet minimum requirements.
5. When a register (official list of individuals who apply to a job vacancy) is sent to the hiring agency by the Personnel Cabinet, all candidates who qualify for Veterans’ Preference and have submitted the required documentation to claim it, shall be appropriately identified.
6. If there are more than five (5) candidates on the register identified as having Veterans’ Preference, the hiring agency shall offer an interview to a minimum of five (5) individuals including current state employees.
7. Should there be fewer than five (5) candidates entitled to Veterans’ Preference on the register, the hiring agency shall offer an interview to those individuals.
8. Being offered an interview does not guarantee employment. Veterans should be prepared, like all other candidates, to market their education, experience and skill sets throughout the application and interview process.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Veterans’ Preference
Tips for Job Seekers with Veterans' Preference
View a list of websites that supports Veteran issues
For assistance navigating the Commonwealth’s Merit Employment System application or hiring process:
For specific information regarding eligibility requirements and necessary documents: