Home > Education Information > Verification

Education Verification

Colleges and universities: 

All domestic institutions of higher education (colleges and universities) must be accredited as recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).  Credits from non-accredited schools will not be recognized for employment purposes.  Note:  Some class specifications, such as those requiring engineering degrees, may require additional accreditation for the program of study. 

Foreign education institutions: 

Foreign education is recognized when an approved academic accrediting agency determines that it is equivalent to a degree or courses offered at an accredited U.S. school or institution. Equivalency credit cannot be given until an official version of the evaluation is received by the Personnel Cabinet.  Evaluations will only be accepted from organizations accredited by the following academic accrediting agencies: 

          • Foreign engineering degrees:  If applying for a position that requires an engineering degree, it must be evaluated by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).  Evaluation results will also be used to determine qualifications for non-engineering vacancies.
          • All other foreign education:  Must be evaluated by one of the member organizations of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE). 

Please Note
This web page contains hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. These links and pointers are provided for the user's convenience. The Kentucky Personnel Cabinet does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of this outside information. Further, the inclusion of links or pointers to particular items in hypertext is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it intended to endorse any views expressed, or products or services offered, on these outside sites, or the organizations sponsoring the sites.