Veterans’ Preference Eligibility Requirements
Individuals may qualify for Veterans’ Preference Status provided the veteran’s Character of Service was listed as Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions). Veterans are not required to have served during time of war or conflict, and Reservists and Guardsman need not have been called to active duty or mobilized to receive the preference.
Service members whose Character of Service is listed as Uncharacterized, Entry Level Separation (ELS), Under Other Than Honorable Conditions, or received a Dishonorable Discharge or Bad Conduct Discharge cannot be granted the preference status.
The following individuals may be eligible for Veterans’ Preference once the required documents are submitted to the Personnel Cabinet:
- Veterans who served on active duty in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy
- Members currently serving on active duty in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy
- Current members of the National Guard or Reserve
- Veterans of the National Guard or Reserve
- Disabled Veterans
- Spouse of a Disabled Veteran whose husband or wife has been declared by the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as unemployable due to a service-connected disability
- Un-remarried Spouse of Deceased Veteran
- Dependent Parent of a Disabled Veteran
- Dependent Parent of a Deceased Veteran