Home > Veterans Preference > Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans Preference Frequently Asked Questions  

This page has responses to questions regarding the Veteran's Preference Status. Please click on the question to view the response.

Once you have sent the necessary documents to the Personnel Cabinet, the preference remains active indefinitely, and you will be automatically identified to the hiring agency as having the status each time your name appears on job registers. Therefore, you do not need to resubmit your documents.

Candidates must submit the required documents such as the DD Form 214 to the Personnel Cabinet prior to any register being sent to the hiring agency in order to be identified as having Veterans’ Preference. The preference does not apply to job registers that have been previously submitted to hiring agencies.

For security reasons, it is not recommended that documents listing your Social Security Number be sent through email. Given the documents must list your Social Security Number to be processed, it is suggested they be faxed or mailed to the Personnel Cabinet.

Please submit the appropriate documentation indicating an Honorable or General Discharge and other necessary records to Stuart Clark at 502.564.0512 or mailed to:  

Applicant, Veterans and Recruitment Branch

Attn:  Stuart Clark

501 High Street, 1st Floor

Frankfort, KY 40601

Applicants will be notified by email once the preference has been assigned.

Applicants must submit a copy of the Service 2 or Member 4 (long form) that lists the Character of Service as Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions). The Member 1 version does not list this required information thus it cannot be used to grant the preference.

You may contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO to request copies of your DD Form 214 and other service records. The on-line process is quick and easy to complete. If Kentucky was your home of record upon entering the military, or you served in the Kentucky National Guard, you may also contact the Kentucky Department of Military Affairs' Military Records and Research Branch. If copies of your service records are on file with this agency, you can request them by fax, mail or in person.

Applicants must submit the required document(s) to the Personnel Cabinet in order to be assigned Veterans’ Preference. Simply, checking the “Yes” box will not permit the candidate to receive this status.

Kentucky’s Veterans’ Preference law, KRS 18A.150, requires agencies to offer a certain number of interviews to applicants who have this status. This will depend on the number of candidates listed on the job register as officially designated by the Personnel Cabinet as having the preference. 

As with all job seekers, veterans must meet minimum requirements for a job before an interview can be offered.

If there are more than five (5) applicants on the register identified as having Veterans’ Preference, the hiring agency shall offer an interview to a minimum of five (5) individuals including current state employees. However, it may offer interviews to more than five if it wishes. Should there be fewer than five (5) candidates entitled to Veterans’ Preference on the register, the hiring agency shall offer an interview to those individuals.

Yes. The preference is available to those who are currently serving as well as those who have separated from the military.

Yes. Provided the Character of Service was Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions), former members of these components are not required to have been called to active duty or mobilized to receive the preference.

Yes. Provided the Character of Service was Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions), veterans are not required to have served during a time of war or conflict to receive the preference.